A city with a UNESCO World Heritage Site, cobblestone streets, and among the best murals I’ve seen in Czechia, we spent four days in Olomouc, the sixth-largest city in Czechia. First mentioned in 1017, Olomouc’s history runs deep. Here are the highlights.
- Apple pancakes with raspberries and sweetened sour cream at Naše Café, a cafe in the city center.
- Tomato and olive pastries from Cafe Jan, a cafe with two levels of seating near the center.
- Red curry at Cà Phê District, a popular Vietnamese restaurant that also serves pho.
- Coffee from Pikola Espresso Bar, a takeout-only specialty cafe that focuses on coffee only.
- Latte from Traffic Coffee, a specialty coffee shop inside an old newspaper stand.
- Climb the bell tower of the Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary, which houses one of Europe’s largest organs.
- Learn about science at Pevnost Poznání, a three-level science center inside an old fortification.
- Take your kids to Krokodylek Olomouc, an indoor playground with an inflatable crocodile.
- Walk along the river in Bezručovy Sady, a large park with historic fortifications.